You may have encountered a lot of issues with printers, but one of the most common and annoying issues is “error 0x00000709,” this is where your printer refuses to get configured or set up on your PC. This error usually occurs when there is already a default printer configured or set, or your Windows does not follow the configuration of the new printer. office.com/setup
Error 0x00000709 when connecting a Printer on Windows 10
The full name of Error you may see is “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) – Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network.”
3 Solutions to fix error 0x00000709
There are 3 best solutions we would like to show to troubleshoot the error 0x00000709 when connecting a Printer to PC on Windows 10:
Run Printer Troubleshooter
The first thing you can try is to run the Printer Troubleshooter. To do so, you need to:
- Tap on the Windows + R key simultaneously to fire up the Run dialog box.
- And type the “msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic” command.
- Then press Enter.
- After doing this, you need to follow the instructions to troubleshoot your printer in hopes that it works and helps you fix this error.
Try Using the Registry Editor
Using the Registry Editor too holds some possibilities to fix this error. For using Registry Editor, you need to:
- Tap the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run utility.
- Then type in “regedit” and press Enter.
- Tap on Yes for the UAC (User Account Control) prompt that appears.
- As soon as the Registry Editor opens, you will have to navigate to the following key location-
- After navigating to this location, you need to double-click on the file named Device on the right side pane.
- Now, you need to add the name of your printer inside the Value Data field and then tap on the OK button.
- You will then receive a message that says “Cannot edit Device: Error writing the value’s new contents.” And tap on OK again.
Note: Before you carry out the next step, make sure that you note down the existing permissions. Once you have added the Printer, ensure to save the changes you have made to the Permissions.
- Up next, you need to right-click on the Windows folder on the left pane and tap on the Permission option.
- Then In the section labeled as Group or usernames, you need to select Restricted.
- After that, In the Permissions for the RESTRICTED section, you have to check to Allow for all the three options: Full Control, Read, and Special Permissions.
- Here, simply tap on the Apply button and then tap on OK.
- Once you are done with that, you need to right-click on the file named as “UserSelectedDefault.”
- And then select the Rename option, and you have to rename it to your printer’s name.
- Up next, you have to reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
- As soon as you are done with the adding printer option, remember to save the Permission changes that you have made. This is in the interest of security.
Update your Printer Drives
Updating the Printer Drives can also help you fix this error. Thus, you need to make sure that your update the Printer Drivers regularly. To do so, you need to:
- Locate the option that says USB Composite Device.
- Then right-click it and select the Update Driver option from the list. office setup
- Now restart your device. After that, tap on Search automatically for updated driver software. And that’s all!